Open Letter from Kansas Citizens for Science
On Tuesday, February 13, 2007, the Kansas Board of Education will vote on adopting new science standards based on the Recommendations of the Science Standards Writing Committee, replacing the Intelligent Design-influenced standards passed by the previous Board in November 2005.
Kansas Citizens for for Science strongly encourages all state Board members to vote “Yes” on this important issue, for two compelling reasons.
* First, the Committee’s Standards represent the mainstream scientific consensus on the nature of science and on evolution, and the current standards do not.
* Second, the Committee’s Standards were developed according to the proper process, and the current standards were not.
The Committee, appointed by the Board in 2004, followed established procedures, including addressing all minority views democratically by requiring a 2/3 vote on all content.Â The previous Board badly abused established procedures.Â They allowed members of the Intelligent Design movement to subvert both content and process based on their entirely false belief that mainstream science is atheistic.
Adopting the Committee’s Standards now is simply finishing the proper process – restoring mainstream science to our standards and credibility to our state.
New Board members Jana Shaver of Independence and Sally Cauble of Liberal ran on clear platforms of replacing the current Intelligent Design standards.Â We encourage them and their fellow Board members in fulfilling this campaign pledge.
Let members of the state Board of Education know that you support their voting “Yes” to adopt new science standards based on the Writing Committee’s Recommended standards.
Here’s what you can do:
- Email state Board members (email addresses below) expressing your support for their “Yes” vote to adopt the new standards
- Write letters of support to your local news media. See here for contact information.
- Attend the Board’s public open forum Tuesday, February 13 at 10:30 in Topeka at the state Department of Education Building, 120 SE 10th. Avenue
Here are email addresses of the Board members:
These Board members support the Committee’s Recommended standards.Â Support them in their voting “Yes” to adopt new standards.
Sally Cauble, Liberal (new member)
Jana Shaver, Independence (new member)
Janet Waugh, Kansas City
Sue Gamble, Shawnee
Carol Rupe, Wichita
Dr. Bill Wagnon, Topeka
These Board members object to the Committee’s Recommended standards.Â They are part of the group that subverted the standards process in order to adopt the Intelligent Design-influenced standards.Â Let them know that you think they also should do the right thing and vote “Yes” to adopt the new standards.
Dr. Steve Abrams, Arkansas City
John Bacon, Olathe
Kenneth Willard, Hutchinson
Kathy Martin, Clay Center
Thank you for taking the time to let our state board of education know that we’re tired of monkeying around with the evolution issue!